Backcountry 101 - Ski/Snowboard - January 29 @ Schweitzer
Backcountry 101 - Ski/Snowboard - $150
Sunday, January 29 – Schweitzer
Pre-Trip Meeting: January 28, 5:30-6:30pm, Online
- This course introduces the fundamentals of winter backcountry travel and avalanche rescue.
- Designed for backcountry beginners with intermediate or advanced riding ability.
- The pre-trip meeting is required for participation.
Students must provide all required equipment:
- Touring skis or split board - SNOWSHOES ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS COURSE
- Climbing skins
- Avalanche beacon, shovel, and probe
- Backpack (25-35L)
- Layered clothing appropriate for spending an entire day in the winter backcountry
Students will spend a full day in the mountains learning the basics of backcountry travel with a qualified and experienced IPAC instructor. The instructor will model how to move about in the winter backcountry, how to identify avalanche terrain, and lead the group through the basics of avalanche rescue. The objective of this course is to become a prepared and informed group member in the winter backcountry. Backcountry 101 graduates are strongly encouraged to seek the guidance of a more experienced backcountry traveler or complete an IPAC Level 1 course before heading out of bounds on their own.
Please fill out the form below to register for this class: (payment instructions on the following page):
Sunday, January 29, 2023