- This event has passed.
Youth Backcountry 101 @ Schweitzer
The Friends of Idaho Panhandle Avalanche Center is holding a Youth Backcountry 101 Course at Schweitzer Mountain Resort. Students will spend a full day in the mountains learning the basics of backcountry travel with a qualified and experienced IPAC instructor. The instructor will model how to move about in the winter backcountry, how to identify avalanche terrain, and lead the group through the basics of avalanche rescue.
Course Sign Up Form
Youth Backcountry 101 – Ski/Snowboard
Students ages 13-17, will spend a full day in the mountains learning the basics of backcountry travel with a qualified and experienced IPAC instructor. The instructor will model how to move about in the winter backcountry, how to identify avalanche terrain, and lead the group through the basics of avalanche rescue. The objective of this course is to become a prepared and informed group member in the winter backcountry. Backcountry 101 graduates are strongly encouraged to seek the guidance of a more experienced backcountry traveler or complete an IPAC Level 1 course before heading out of bounds on their own.
Full Scholarships are available thanks to the Alpine Shop in Sandpoint. Please email: email@example.com to apply.
- This course introduces teens (13-17 years old) to the fundamentals of winter backcountry travel.
- Designed for backcountry beginners with intermediate or advanced riding ability.
- The class session is required for participation.
- Students must provide all required equipment:
- Skis or snowboard – SNOWSHOES ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS COURSE
- Backpack (25-35L)
- Layered clothing appropriate for spending an entire day in the winter backcountry
- IPAC will provide avalanche rescue equipment to any participant who needs it:
- Avalanche beacon, shovel, and probe
- Touring skis or split boards are preferred, but not required for this course.
|Dates and Location
February 10 @ Schweitzer
|Online Course Portion
Youth Backcountry 101
Course is for students ages 13-17 years of age with parent/guardian permission.
If you are unable to attend a course that you have registered and paid for, and you notify us that you are unable to attend at least 1 week before the date of the course, you will receive a 100% refund minus any transaction or processing fees. If you notify us less than 1 week before the course, you will receive a 50% refund.